If there is any place where first aid skills are required on a large scale, that place has got to be the workplace. Now, there are advantages to training for first aid at an individual level, but this does not suffice when it is extrapolated to the work environment, making it crucial for companies to be aware of the guidelines and fundamentals that govern first aid at the workplace. This article focuses on some of those guidelines, and in some instances, the role that is played in each case.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_jXROCmNQ” width=”200″ height=”220″]
i) By definition, the first aid provider at the workplace is one who has undergone relevant training in the provision of emergency care with limited equipment and is able to assess the victim’s condition prior to the arrival of professional medical help.
ii) There are four main elements as far as a healthy management system at the workplace is concerned. The four include:
– Analysis of the facilities at the workplace
– Prevention of different hazards as well as control of the same
– Training on matters safety
– The style of management leadership as well as the extent of involvement by the employees.
iii) There are a number of elements that determine the procedures of first aid at the workplace. These elements are as discussed below.
– The identification of potential risks at the workplace as well as assessing the effects of the same on a worker.
– The design of first aid program that aims to decrease the probability of accidents at the work place
– Use of a program that compliant with standards set by the OSHA as pertains to first aid treatment.
– The ideal program for first aid at the workplace includes the availability of basic essentials such as bandages, disposable gloves and AEDs (automatic external defibrillators).
– The program also provides clear direction on the choice of first aid providers to get training at specific stations within the workplace as well as the first aid providers who are set to attend refresher courses depending on the training organization of choice.
– Such a program for first aid at the workplace also creates a distinction as far as the training of other individuals is concerned. This includes guidelines on what to do in case a colleague falls sick. The program, also provides handy information on policies to be implemented to safeguard the lives of the workers within the organization.
– Lastly, the first aid program provides a system to carry out evaluations in order to keep abreast with the latest trends in the world of first aid production. This will also incorporate assessment on a regular basis, and typically involves recertification for the trained and certified first aid providers.
Lack of proper policies on first aid at the workplace could prove to be very costly in terms of human resource. The good news is that in many countries, it is now a mandatory requirement to show compliance with standards set by the relevant bodies.